Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Protestant to Catholic

My grandmother is Protestant and my grandfather is Catholic. My grandparents would have been married for fifty years this september but my grandpa pssed away eight years ago. When my grandparents got married they wanted to get married in a Catholic Church. In order for my grandma to be able to get married on the alter she had to sign papers that she would bring up her children as catholic. My grandma told me she was one of the first people from the protestant religion to be able to get married at the alter in my grandpa's Catholic Church. I think that this practice has ended because my mother's girlfriend got married in a Catholic Church and she wasn't catholic and they didn't make her sign any papers. I think if a married couple has different religious backgrounds it may be easier to raise the children with the same religion as the parent that has the strongest religious beliefs. In my family my mother goes to church but my father only attends on holidays. Thereforeif my parents were from different religions I think it would make sense for us to be brought up as my mother's religion. If both my parents have strong religious beliefs then the child could participate in both religions and as they grow up pick the religion they are more comfortable with. I don't think the church should dictate the religion of a child, it should be up to the parents.

5 comments:

Marcos said...

Krissy,
I agree with you. The church should not have a say on what religion a child must grow up in. I also agree with your point about both parents with different but strong religious beliefs, when the child is old enough he/she should decide which religion to follow. The child going to both services should when old enough decide which religion to follow.

Abel said...

hitting you up cuz you left me a comment....yes I agree with yer blog a person should have the right to choose their personal beliefs. Parents cannot foist their views or beliefs on their children. Dont think that the child has to believe the religion of the most religous person in the house because that makes the child more likely to believe the religion of that parent and not necessarily the religion of his/her choice.

Chonte said...

Wow, that must have been very hard for your grandmother to do. As the years are going by, I believe certain religions are not as strict. If your grandmother would have gotten married in the 21st century, I don't think she would have had to sign any paper. Did your grandmother bring her children up as christian? and did she convert or is she still practicing her true religion?

Rich said...

I agree with you, If a religion is good, makes sense, and brings tranquility and peace they would not need to force someone to change their religion to get married. A religion should be secure enough in itself.
To believe the child will want to become part of the congregation, once he or she learns about the religion.

Karen said...

First off I'd like to say Sorry to hear about your grandpa, and I think its interesting to know they were one of the first couples to get married in his church. My sister recently got married in a Catholic church and she was catholic and her husband was Jewish and the priest made him sign papers saying that he would bring their children up Catholic. They also had to take some kind of classes in order to get married in the church as well. I thought that was pointless but I guess everyone has to do it.