Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Mohandas Gandhi

Gandhi was a major political and spiritual leader of India and the Indian independence movement. His belief in resistance of tyranny and total non-violence helped to lead India to independence and inspired movements for civil rights and freedom across the world. Gandhi was born a Hindu and practiced Hinduism all of his life. He believed all religions were equal, and rejected all efforts to convert him to a different faith. Gandhi believed that at the core of every religion was truth and love. He felt compassion and nonviolence were the golden rule.
I think Gandhi practiced Hinduism in many ways, he was a vegetarian, he believed in love and non-violence and he never caused violence. He was very spiritual and would spend one day a week without speaking to clear his mind and soul. I think the parts of his religion that he emphasized the most were non-violence, love, and compassion. The part of his religion less important to him was the caste system. He didn't follow the system because he treated everyone fairly and equally. I think Gandhi would have considered himself a good Hindu because he felt strongly about his beliefs and he didn't cause harm to other people. I would agree that Gandhi was a very religious and spiritual man and that he was a good Hindu. He once said," an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind". If only more people believed in this saying and practiced it.

4 comments:

Susan De George said...

Great essay!

wendy said...

It wasn't that the Caste System was not important, it was that it realy have no meaning because to Gandhi everyone was equal. The caste system do nothing but, separate. Made some people feel better than others. But great essay Krissy.

Marcos said...

Krissy like the professor said your essay was very well written. I would agree with everything you said. Especially the quote "eye for an eye makes the whole world blind". Gandhi never retaliated violently to win his cause. He was a peaceful man. If everyone thought like him maybe we wouldn't have all these wars.

Karen said...

I thought your essay was well written and I also made a lot of the same points in my essay. I thought that he was a good Hindu as well. I agree with him when he said that everyone is equal and I like that saying "an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind". I think that him trying to get rid of the caste system really applied to that statement.