Tuesday, October 16, 2007
"Religion right may commit the sin of political suicide"
According to an article I read, conservative Christian leaders almost unanimously approved a resolution to support a third-party candidate if neither major party nominates someone who is pro-life. James Dobson, founder and chairmanof Focus on the Family, explained that Christian leaders believe any presidential candidate has to commit to traditional moral values, including the sanctity of human life, the institution of marriage and other pro-family principles. At this point John MCCain Has a perfect pro-life record, but he supports federal funding for embryonic stem cell research. He doesn't support Federal Marriage Amendment, which conservatives believe is necessary to protect marriage as between a man and woman. Fred Thompson doesn't support the Federal Marriage Amendment. Mitt Romney fought for same sex unions and embryonic cloning. He is pro-life. Even though Romney shares their belief in Jesus Christ as God, but some of his mormon beliefs cause deep conflicts for the Christian leaders. It will be interesting to see whom they come out and support for the Republican Party. This article made me believe that there is still a strong connection between religion and politics.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I think you are right. There is a strong connection between religion and politics. George Bush was elected with the help of the Christian Right. But I never hear the politicians speak about helping the sick. I never hear them speak about feeding the poor. I never hear them speaking about providing good housing for the homeless. They seem to speak about the things that divide people not the things we can all agree on.
Krissy--
The connection between religion and politics is a key one in the upcoming presidential election. Do you think it should be? Why or why not?
I do beleive that there is a connection between religion and politics. Everyone beleives in their own religion. Just because they are politicians that doesn't make them different from everyone else... we all have values and beliefs.
I think your right also Krissy.
There has always been a connection between politics and religion. Like Rich said, you never hear about politicians speaking about feeding the poor or helping the sick. You hear them talk about these things when they want to get elected but it's never brought back up again after the election. All the talk is about money and war.
religion & politics what a touchy subject but then again these are the people who we vote for! they address significant issues while running for office but once in they rarely address /touch the issues regarding religion. They say it should be seperate but one's beliefs stems from one's values. We need to focus on UNITY !!!
Post a Comment