On Friday night, I attended a service at the Greenburgh Hebrew Center in Dobbs Ferry with my partner Stephanie and friend Kimmy. When we first arrived for the service I thought that we got the time wrong because there were hardly any cars in the parking lot. I later learned that the people attending temple don't drive because of the Sabbath and most of them walk to temple. While walking up to the synagogue I noticed pews to sit in, a podium, an ark case, and the rest of the temple was basically very plain. There were only about thirty people attending the service and they ranged from old people to young children. Everyone was dressed fairly nice and the men and young boys wore yarmulkes on their heads. The rabbi stood on the bima, which is like an altar, and he spoke from a podium which had flowers around it. The rabbi was wearing a black robe with a tallit, which is like a scarf with fringes hanging from the end, around his neck. The tallit has Hebrew writing on it and he wears a yarmulke on his head. They also have a cantor who stands off to the side of the bima and he is dressed like the rabbi. He does the chanting and singing of the prayers. The Torah(scripture) is covered in an ark case until the rabbi takes it out and they say a prayer in Hebrew. The rabbi opens the Torah and he rolls it to the portion that has to do with this week's service. The rabbi walks throught the temple with the Torah and he goes around the temple so that all the people can reach the Torah. The people attending the service touch the Torah with their siddour (Bible) and then they kiss their siddour. The rabbi then puts the Torah back in its covered ark case. The congregation then says another prayer. The rabbi then finishes the service with the temple community news. Our service began at 8pm and lasted for about an hour. There was another service on Saturday morning beginning at 9:30am and it would last for about two and a half hours because they cover more portions of the Torah. The reason for these services is to honor the Sabbath which starts at sundown on Friday and ends at nightfall on Saturday. People observing the Sabbath feel it is a precious gift for God, and a day of great joy that they eagerly await throughout the week. It is a time where they can set aside all of their weekday concerns and devote themselves to higher pursuits. After the service the people meet in the front portion of the temple for refreshments.
I was nervous to attend the service because I didn't know what to expect and I was glad that I went with other people. I found it to be a little difficult to understand because most of the service was in Hebrew. But after the service, I talked to a girl from my softball team who is Jewish and she was able to answer some of my questions about the service. I am looking forward to my interview with Rabbi Barry Kanter so that I can learn more about the Judaism.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I know how you felt because I had to go to a Hindu temple and they didn't speak english either. You dont know what they are saying. I was so nervous that they were talking about me. I went with a fellow class mate also because I was scared to go by myself. It makes things better when you have someone else with you so you don't feel alone.
I can relate to what you felt. I too attended a Jewish service and i felt awkward. I wish i could have understood more of what was said. Most of the service i attended was in Hebrew too. I kinda felt alone since i did go by myself. Were the people there nice to you and your friends? Did you have any food after the service?
Post a Comment