Monday, December 17, 2007

Father John Martin

Father John Martin, a spiritual director of Shantiranam, compares major religions of the world with hikers trying to reach the top of a high mountain. The hikers are unaware of each other because they are all on different sides of the mountain so that when they reach the top they are surprised to find one another. I think what Father John Martin is saying is true because it is kind of what I learned in this class. The hikers being unaware of each other is how I was prior to this class. I am Catholic and I knew there were other religions but I never really knew anything about them. As far as the hikers being on different sides of the mountain this is the unique route taken by each religion. Each religion has its own unique rituals, beliefs, and practices. It doesn't matter how they get to the top just as long as they get there. I think each hiker reaches the top of the mountain when they have strong faith and religious beliefs. When they get to the top they are surprised to see anyone else because everyone is so consumed in their own beliefs they forget other beliefs exist. I found it very interesting to learn about different religions and to find out how similar they could be. But the most important thing I learned is that everyone's faith is important to them so we need to respect each other's religious beliefs.

1 comment:

Rich said...

Good Luck. Keep Smiling it has been fun blogging with you